The following is my recipe for making this hat for my DH.
Perfect Crocheted Beanie
There are a number of variations possible for this hat. Make it with one or many colors but it will fit perfectly each time.
Please note, that for changing a color, work till 2 sts remain on the previous st to where color change needs to be done. Then use a loop of the new color to draw through both these loops. In every round, beginning ch 3 counts as first double crochet.
Worsted / 10 ply (9 wpi) yarn, Approx. 150yds required
US G/ 4.0 mm Crochet Hook
One Size (Adult) (Fits Small, Medium and Large Heads well)
Beanie is 8.5" tall and has a circumference of 19"
Gauge: 17dc and 10 rounds in 4"x 4" (10cm x 10cm)
- Chain - ch
- Slip Stitch - sl st
- Stitch/es - st/s
- double crochet - dc
- beginning - beg
- round/s - rnd/s
- repeat - rep
- increase - inc
- single crochet - sc
- previous - prev
- double crochet 2 together - dc2tog
- Ch 3.
- Sl st into the first ch.
- Ch 3, 11 dc into the space formed in the ring from prev step. Sl st into the top of the beg ch 3. (Total 12 sts)
- (Ch 3, dc) into the same st from prev rnd, *2 dc into the next st from previous rnd. Repeat (rep) from * around and join with sl st into the top of the beg ch 3. [12 sts increased (inc) - Total 24 sts]
- (Ch 3, dc) into the same st from previous rnd, dc into the next st, * 2 dc in the next st, dc in the next st. Rep from * around and join with sl st into the top of the beg ch 3 [12 sts inc - Total 36 sts]
- (Ch 3, dc) into the same st from previous rnd, dc into the next 2 sts, * 2 dc in the next st, dc in the next 2 sts. Rep from * around and join with sl st into the top of the beg ch 3 [12 sts inc - Total 48 sts]
- Rep in the pattern above, inc a st between each inc, till there are 84 sts in a rnd.
- Next crochet 8 rnds in dc.
- Next rnd ch3 in the first st, dc into the next 4sts, dc2tog into the next 2 sts, * dc in the next 5 sts, dc2tog into the next 2 sts. Rep from * around and join with sl st to the top of the beg ch 3. [12 sts dec - Total 72 sts]
- Next crochet 4 rnds in dc.
- Next ch1, crochet 1 rnd in sc. Sl st to beg ch1, fasten off and Weave in Ends.
The hat takes only about half an hour to an hour to make up.