Friday 18 April 2008

Need More Crochet Sources - New Magazine Launching in June

It's about time we saw a good source for crochet designs in the virtual world. Somehow whenever I look for good garment patterns in crochet, I end up finding ugly ones and get frustrated. I am sure there are good projects and patterns out there but its not as easy to find them. Most people seem to have the wrong idea that Crocheted garments cannot be fashionable and stylish and at the same time wearable like any comparable knit garments.

I have seen quite a few designers whose patterns are very modern, elegant and classy. To name a few, Annie Modesitt and Robyn Chachula. I am a fan of their work and have had the pleasure of meeting both in person at the Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Festival this year.

Crochet Me by Kim Werker is a good source for crochet patterns but clearly we need more.

Robyn spoke about CHIQ magazine submissions on her blog the other day and I instantly jumped. The next thing, I was on their Website checking things out, it has not yet launched though. I hear it will be launching in June. I thought, Finally, someone has thought of dedicating themselves solely to providing information and patterns on the art of Crochet. Check out their Website.

It so happens that they have a blog (and I have subscribed to it already of course ...) which is currently being updated daily by Bernard. They showcase a designer and some nice runway photographs in each post. Awesome !!!

There are links to popular Crochet designers and blogs in the top right section on the Blog page.

I went ahead and tagged them in my Flickr account as well. I simply cannot miss any opportunity of seeing new designs.

The magazine is also open to pattern submissions from designers.

Here is an extract from their Website:

I'm interested in submitting, what do I do?

If you have a completed work or an idea that you want to submit, simply email a picture and your idea to the editor. We can assist you in writing the pattern and in creating diagrams. You don´t have to send anything via snail mail. Our contract crocheters can construct the garment, which will be part of a photo shoot, where you will be given 100% credit for the design. A brief bio of the designer will accompany the design as well as a link to any web address you prefer and your email (if you desire).

Easy isn't it? So what are you waiting for? Get working... get creative. I am working on mine.
I am so excited for the first issue already. Big Shout Out to CHIQ !!! Way to Go and All The Best!!!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for writing about us in your blog. I love the way you use the screen captures, very smart.

    I linked you on the CHIQ blog site--because you´re right, we need to do all we can to encourage more crochet sources!

    S.B. Lyke
    CHIQmag.COM Editor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for writing about us in your blog. I love the way you use the screen captures, very smart.

    I linked you on the CHIQ blog site--because you´re right, we need to do all we can to encourage more crochet sources!

    S.B. Lyke
    CHIQmag.COM Editor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely my pleasure !!!
    Together we can !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely my pleasure !!!
    Together we can !!!

    ReplyDelete