Sunday 4 May 2008

Recipe - Poppy Seed Chicken

If you know me, you know I love to cook, but wait not the everyday food but experimenting with various ingredients to come up with something tasty. Well, there are a lot of recipes that I have come up with, that taste good so I thought of sharing them with everyone.

Poppy Seed Chicken
Makes enough for 4 people

Ingredients: Obviously chicken (8-9 skinless drumsticks)
2-3 medium onions (peeled and sliced)
Salt to taste
Black Pepper (a pinch or 1 tea spoon max. depending on your own preference)
1 table spoon of poppy seeds.
1 table spoon Ginger Garlic Paste (either make fresh or use readymade)
4 big red tomatoes (I love tomatoes)
1 table spoon oil (whichever you prefer, I used groundnut refined oil)
2-3 cloves
2 green cardamoms
1 tea spoon turmeric powder
Chilli Flakes (use more if you want more spicy)

Preparation:
Wash, peel and slice the onions.

Procedure:

In a wide pan heat the oil. Add the sliced onions, poppy seeds, ginger garlic paste, salt to taste, cloves, green cardamoms, chilli flakes, and pinch of pepper and fry till onions are golden brown.



Now add the chicken, stir to mix everything together and cook covered on medium-high heat. Keep checking the chicken till cooked thoroughly. Takes approx. 15 mins

Meanwhile puree the tomatoes. Once chicken is cooked, add the puree and the turmeric powder and cook covered stirring at regular intervals. It cooks in approx. 20-30mins.

I would have loved to season it with some fresh coriander leaves (cilantro) but I didn't have it. Serve hot with boiled Basmati rice. Yummy !!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh. I am so hungry now. This looks sooo good! Going to try it the next time I have guests over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for a change im full today.. had i been hungry i would be drooling all over that!

    ReplyDelete